Thursday, July 31, 2008

Bottling Up A Ton of Posts/NKOTB

It's been a pretty busy summer. What's funny is that while I feel like it's been busy, it really hasn't been. I've been interning part-time at the Hartford Courant in the Middletown Bureau. This is technically my last week, but I'm still working on a column answer and will be working a few shifts next week.

I've basically been hanging out and going to concerts in my free time. That's what I've wanted to blog about: these concerts. I'll give them one big post with separated bits about each concert.

And just so this post doesn't lack substance, I will comment on the New Kids on the Block recent radio single, "Summertime." When I first heard it, I thought it was Jesse McCartney or some new boy band. It was catchy, a happy summer jam, even if it was a bit unoriginal. I thought it kind of sampled "Bittersweet Symphony," which, itself, samples the Rolling Stones' "The Last Time" for its background. The name "Summertime," and the basic chorus of "I think about you in the summertime, and all the good times we had, baby," just seemed so gimmicky and put together for a sale. I couldn't understand how NKOTB, who are much older than teenagers thinking about girls in the summertime, could relate to this kind of bubblegum song. I also couldn't understand why they're back on tour - it's been a long time, and Jordan Knight and Joey McIntyre had a few singles after the band broke up. Donnie Wahlberg has a great career as an actor and producer. Maybe they just missed each other and the fame. They're back with an all-out tour and whole new album, and the radio's spinning their catchy tracks again. Good for them, hangin' tough. It seems that NKOTB want to sell themselves to us again, and actually, I'm kind of buying it.

No comments: