Tuesday, September 23, 2008

9/20 -- State Radio

UConn's SUBOG (Student Union Board of Governors) sponsored a free State Radio concert outside our student union. This was the best thing they've done for us, concert-wise, in my entire undergraduate career.

I showed up at 3:30 to watch my friend play in Johnny 9 in the Racers, a band I've seen at least 3 times before this. As usual, the local ska band gave a really good, fun show. They ended their set with "Somebody Else," the first song on their 'Open Up Your Ears' album. It might be because it's the first song on the album, and it might be because they've ended a few shows with this song, but I find this song to be my favorite and the most catchy, and the only one that I really know the words to. Who doesn't love a bitter break-up song that turns into an almost-happy tune because it's ska?

I skipped the next band to run some errands, but then I went back at 5:30 for the State Radio set. I hadn't really listened to State Radio prior to the show, but I had heard of them, and I knew they were politically charged, so I really wanted to see them. I wasn't surprised when I really enjoyed their set. Their reggae-infused rock music just felt right at that very moment when they were playing. The outdoor setting, the crowd, the college feel, the encouragement to register and vote and their Obama endorsement just all came together to give an already great concert the perfect atmosphere.

My boyfriend left with both the CDs State Radio was selling at the merch table. Together, both CDs cost $15, and the concert left us wanting to hear more.

No comments: