Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Cookie Swap at the Bristol Library tonight!

The Children’s Department at the Bristol Public Library is holding its first annual Family Cookie Exchange tonight at 6. I'm covering it for the Bristol Press, but check back here tomorrow because I'm also blogging about my experience participating in it.

Participants are asked to bake two dozen of their favorite cookies, bring the baked cookies to the library with the recipes, and remember to bring an empty container for cookie exchanging, according to a press release. For the occasion, I baked my extra chewy chocolate chip cookies with oatmeal and caramel. A few years ago, I took a chocolate chip cookie recipe and substituted some flour for oatmeal and some chocolate chips for Hershey's caramel kisses. I just typed out the recipe in mass quantity for the swap, and I've included it below. I hope to find some delicious cookies at this swap, and I'm going to blog about my favorite ones.


Here's my recipe:

Extra Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies with Oatmeal and Caramel Kisses

Makes about 3 dozen, takes about an hour.

Ingredients:
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
1 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
2 Tbsp water
2 cups flour
1 cup oatmeal
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
3/4 of a 12 oz. package of chocolate chips
1/3 bag of Hershey's caramel kisses

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

1. Unwrap the Hershey's kisses, mash them up with a potato masher or big spoon. Set aside for later.
2. Beat butter and sugars together. Beat in eggs one at a time. Add vanilla and water, blend well.
3. Combine flour, baking soda and salt. Add in oatmeal. Gradually stir flour/oatmeal mixture into butter mixture. Stir in chocolate chips and then mashed up Hershey's kisses.
3. Drop rounded teaspoonfuls onto cookie sheets about 2 inches apart. Tip: These cookies are really sticky because of the caramel, so I recommend using parchment paper on the sheets first.
4. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until crisp and golden brown. Cool.

This recipe makes about 3 dozen cookies. Enjoy!

No comments: