Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Contra Release Party Tomorrow!

This always happens to me! I have a vacation week from work, and I was planning an NYC trip for one day this week, and, of course, this was just posted on Twitter by @SPINmagazine:


Garrett and I were already planning on taking an early train in to spend Thursday morning at MOMA and then the afternoon walking around Chinatown and St. Marks Place. Well, here's how we're gonna try to cap off the evening. I'm ridiculously excited. The RSVP instructions aren't exactly clear, but I did send an e-mail to contra@spin.com, like the poster says to do, with my and Garrett's names on it. It says RSVP does not guarantee entry, but we'll get there early enough.

This is beyond perfect timing. I love Vampire Weekend, and I've been totally excited about their new album. They were incredible at All Points West this year, and I listened to their first album non-stop over the summer. (Perfect driving music.) My current favorite lyric has to be "First the window, then it's to the wall/ Lil' Jon, he always tells the truth" from "Oxford Comma." It makes me giggle. And being a journalist who follows AP style, I have to agree with the song's first line.

Contra sounds pretty good from what I'm hearing streamed from the website. It's their usual upbeat music with clever lyrics and lots of fun. Also, being a mallet percussion player, I love the extensive use of xylo/marimba/bell sounds.

The entire album is streaming from Vampire Weekend's website this week. Check it: http://www.vampireweekend.com/

No comments: