Thursday, November 5, 2009

No more Leader magazine?!

I got a postcard in the mail today from Girl Scouts of the USA saying that the organization is suspending the publication of Leader magazine. Seriously, when I opened my mailbox and looked at the card, I reacted with a quiet "Noooo!"

The postcard reads as follows:
Given the current economic climate, we have made the hard decision to suspend publication of Leader magazine. Based on results from a reader survey conducted earlier this year, we are exploring the feasibility of producing an online version of Leader. This approach would not only result in significan tcost savings, it has the added benefit of being good for the environment. In the interim, you can log on to www.girlscouts.org/for_adults/leader_magazine/ to read the latest series of articles written by the Leader team.

I have a lifetime membership to the Girl Scouts, so when they started sending out Leader magazine, I was stoked. It was beautiful, glossy and had stories that girls and their leaders care about. For example, features on Lisa Ling and Venus Williams, plus serious articles on dealing with eating disorders. After I graduated from high school, I decided to pay for the one-shot lifetime membership so I could one day be a troop leader, and I loved the magazine.

I know it will still be published online, but its print edition will be missed.

No comments: