Wednesday, January 7, 2009

12/30 The Mighty Mighty Bosstones at Toad's Place


Ahhh, the nostalgia. Going to ska shows takes me back to when I was 15 and skatastic. I didn't pull out my checkerboard belt or Capri Sun purse, but it still felt right.

Now, I've been to lots of ska shows, from smaller local bands to bigger headliners, but I had never seen the Mighty Mighty Bosstones, and this was pretty exciting for me. They went on a hiatus in 2003, which was a year after the last time they played Toad's. Their recent reunion and tour was a big deal, and the fact that they're an older band really showed in the audience - there was everyone from high school kids, parents with younger children, parents of old ska fans who became ska fans, and you name it. The Bosstones played their classics. Their everyone singalong choruses and breakdowns really pumped up the crowd. The dancing guy made me giggle and want to dance too. Everyone in the room sang along to "The Impression that I Get," and it was a really feel-good, fun time.

It was a really good thing that a good chunk of the band put down their instruments to help sing because lead singer Dicky Barrett was losing his voice. His voice is pretty hoarse to begin with, so it was a rough situation. On the brighter side, with his hoarse voice, slick hair and snappy business attire, he totally looked like a villain from a superhero movie.

Tip the Van opened for this show, and frankly, they open for almost every ska show. They're also opening for Reel Big Fish and Streetlight Manifesto when they play Toad's. They're also opening for that line-up in MA. I've seen them everywhere - from UConn to smaller shows to Catch Xmas, and they always manage to impress a lot of people. They definitely deserve to get bigger real soon.

No comments: