Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Inauguration

Today was my first day of classes, but thankfully, I got out of one class early so I could stop in the Dodd Center to watch the inauguration on CNN.

I got there just in time to see Biden sworn in. Then there was a musical selection, at which time, CNN informed us that Obama was officially president because the Constitution states that he would be president by noon, whether or not he was sworn in yet. That was pretty awesome.

Watching Obama get sworn in was very moving. It was everything we've been waiting for since the beginning of his campaign trail. When he gave his inaugural speech, it was inspiring. He touched on all the problems the nation faces, but he also gave hope to a brighter future, and I can't help but believe that things will be better under his leadership. I liked that he mentioned that his father, less than 60 years ago, would not have been served at a local restaurant, gesturing at the fact that America has come a long way in electing its first black president. I liked that the inauguration was the day after Martin Luther King, Jr. day. I liked that Obama specifically mentioned the troubled economy and spoke directly to terrorists, saying that power comes from building, not destroying. I liked that in spite of all the bad things that he mentioned, he gave reasons for hope. That's what America needed, and for the first time in my life, I'm excited for the next four years under a certain presidency.

And I have to add, I thought it was the cutest thing ever when CNN zoomed in on Malia Obama taking photos/video on her digital camera and looking absolutely intent on it.

No comments: