Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Reaction to new season of American Idol

I haven't watched American Idol regularly since high school. It's more of a bonding experience with my family - it gives us another thing to talk about at dinner, and it's just fun. I think being at home for winter break, and the fact that I'm planning on living at home after graduation, has brought me back on the American Idol wagon.

At least the eighth season is shaping up to be very promising. I love the first episodes of a season because everyone talks about their dreams, and the show really milks these dreams for all they're worth. Also, we get the bad auditions, but not too many. There are fewer joke auditions this season, and really, I'm glad.

I'm also glad they added Kara DioGuardi. I think she adds a fresh face and outlook to the judges' panel. She's accomplished, and she has the background for the job. Also, having four judges is refreshing. It's a nice change.

Now for the contestants. Bikini girl was annoying, and that whole scene with Kara and her having the sing-off was silly. So was all the hype that the show aired leading up to it.

But in both of the first episodes, they saved the best contestants for last. I loved Scott MacIntyre, and I really think he's going to go all the way. The show kept talking about his inspiring story because he is legally blind, but really, he had an incredible voice and is great at piano. He went to college at 14 and graduated by the time he was 19. He's absolutely brilliant in every way, and he is just the epitome of an "American Idol." In one of the commercials previewing the Hollywood sessions, they show him with his piano and the judges giving him a great applause. He might be the reason why I keep watching, and why I might actually vote this season. I also loved Lil Rounds, who topped off tonight's episode. She was fantastic, and Randy called her a mix of Fantasia and Mary J. Blige. Personally, I thought she was better than both of them put together, and I really want to see her go far in this competition.

No comments: