Sunday, February 8, 2009

2/7 - Eve 6

I wish I brought a camera to have a photo for this post, but the show was right after a men's basketball game, so I was kind of on-the-go and forgot to bring one.

Anyway, Eve 6 brought back memories of being in seventh grade and mad at the world singing along to "Inside Out." It brought back memories of loving "Here's to the Night" because it's how we feel when we're "embarrassingly sentimental" as lead singer Max Collins described it. It was good. I haven't really listened to them in a while, so I was really surprised to see how many songs I actually knew and could sing along to. I have a feeling everyone else in the audience was feeling the same thing because it seemed that everyone could sing along to their radio singles and TRL hits. It took the band at least a song or two to get going, I think, because after a while, they really got into the songs, singing and playing a little harder. That just wasn't the case with the first two songs. The band did everything right, though. If they needed time to warm up and get into the show, they were right to play a few songs before the singles that everyone wants to rock out to. Actually, come to think of it, maybe it was the singles that everyone sang along to that pumped the band up. Either way, the show got better through the set. Also, I love when bands rotate new songs with old popular ones because it really keeps the crowd going, and Eve 6 did that.

Lights Resolve opened for them with a long set, and they just didn't do it for me. I mostly wanted it to end. One of the drums was mic'd too closely, and despite the singer describing one song as a dance tune that you'd "shake your ass" to, it still sounded pretty "I'm trying to be rock, and really, I can only head bang to this even though it's not really that hardcore and what you'd think to head bang to," which was pretty much what all their songs were. Also, there was a lot of "Oh Oh Oh"-ing to the songs, and lyrics that were trying too hard to be emotional and spiritual like "the angel cries oh oh oh oh [etc]."

No comments: