Thursday, June 17, 2010

Quintron and Miss Pussycat at Cafe Nine


Everything's better with puppets.

I was pretty excited when I first noticed the shiny aquamarine blue puppet stage with orange curtains set up in the corner of Cafe Nine Tuesday night. As the lights dimmed down and epic opening music started, Miss Pussycat's head appeared over a puppet's body and the show began. The puppeteers, I'm assuming Quintron and Miss Pussycat and maybe an additional friend, swapped a bunch of puppets ranging from a striped cat with wacky eyes to police officer monkeys, spinning a tale about "secret pizza," which appeared, all holy and illuminated, at the end. They even turned the stage set into a giant puppet with hands. Yes.

Quintron and Miss Pussycat started playing right after the puppet show and it was awesome. I caught part of this New Orleans-based band's set at B.O.M.B. Fest last month, which is why I decided to catch this show, but this show was definitely better. Quintron said this was their third time playing Cafe Nine, and my immediate thought was, where was I? It's a more intimate setting, and the sound and lighting just work.


(Quintron and Miss Pussycat standing on the bar)

They played their catchy, electronic, out-of-this-world dance music with Miss Pussycat's wacky outfit and crazy maracas. And they went for over an hour before running to the back of the room and jumping on the bar to rock out. Right where I was standing, as you can see from my photo above. (Note: I'm still taking photos with my cell phone. It works for me.)


(The Goodnight Loving)


The Goodnight Loving
, a band from Milwaukee, opened, and a few songs in, I decided I really liked their sound. They were definitely different from Quintron and Miss Pussycat, but the two together for a show was a surprisingly good fit. The Goodnight Loving alternated between a country twang and fun surfer rock, which was pretty cool. Grabbed a vinyl from them on the way out.

No comments: