Friday, March 26, 2010

The end of 24?


Fox announced today that this is 24's last season. Credit has to go to @breakingTVnews on Twitter, because that's where I first heard this news. As I'm typing this, several news outlets are posting their stories on 24's end, all with clever puns about the ticking time clock and time running out. According to E! Online, Kiefer Sutherland says the eight-season run is going to end on a high note. He also talks about the upcoming 24 movie.

A Chicago Tribune TV blog is especially informative on the history of 24 and its award-winning, really exciting run: Time's up: '24' to end in May. The blog post talks about how 24 has kind of declined over the last few years, but it really doesn't take away from the core of 24 and how great the show was in the first 5 seasons. I couldn't agree more. I remember gathering in dorm rooms my freshman year in college to watch 24 every week. I remember how excited we were when it came back my sophomore year. Now that I'm about a year out of college, I miss a lot of episodes because of work (I'm usually at meetings on Monday nights), but when i do catch an episode, it's an adrenaline rush. 24 has never had a problem keeping me on the edge of my seat.

There are rumors that 24 may be picked up by NBC, but from other articles that are popping up right now, it looks like that can't happen. According to Entertainment Weekly, Sutherland said they won't do a ninth season "because he and executive producer Howard Gordon were ready to call it quits."

Looks like the season/series finale will definitely be bittersweet, and I am looking forward to the movie. It's been a good run.

*obligatory clock ticking and minute change*

No comments: