Sunday, April 18, 2010

The Thermals at The Space


We had to go to a show on Record Store Day. Didn't realize this until halfway through The Thermals set, but it was really the perfect end to a pretty awesome day. I'd never seen The Thermals before, but I listened to some of their stuff and really liked their sound, so I decided to check them out on Saturday night at The Space in Hamden. Good decision. They rocked it! Being the headliner, people were pretty excited as they started to play, but they really got the crowd going a few songs in as more people started dancing, singing along and just getting into it. The Thermals have this raw, indie, garage punk sound that just makes you want to rock out. Kind of expectedly, they ended with "Now We Can See," but it was an awesome ending - complete with a clap-and-sing-along.


Past Lives (pictured above) went on right before The Thermals, and I thought they were pretty cool. They also rocked out (you could tell because they got super sweaty), and I think that enthusiasm was contagious. The Coathangers - an all-girl shouting punk band - went on first, before Past Lives. They reminded me of Bikini Kill, and while it's not my favorite kind of music, I couldn't help but like them. You could just tell that they always have fun, and they were especially adorable as they were watching The Thermals and cheering their tour mates on.

No comments: